8/28/08

The Great Outdoors (part 2)...

After our workout on the stairmaster from hell, we DROVE to the bottom of the falls. There, we saw this contraption. Mason had never seen one before...and of course, he didn't know you had to put money in it to get it to work. "Mom, I can't see anything through this thing." So, after fetching a quarter from the truck, Brian helped him find what he was supposed to be looking for...

Look closely...do you see it?


I LOVE this smooshed up face!

When I was editing these photos, this one made me laugh out loud! I love the shocked look on Mason's face as his marshmallow is engulfed in flames and that Brian is cramming a marshmallow into his mouth. HA!

We forgot to pack the fire extinguisher...not that you need them for marshmallows anyway. Am I the only person who thinks that slightly charred marshmallows actually taste BETTER?

Mmmm...molten hot sugary goodness.

Brian had the forethought to cut sticks with more than one place to put a marshmallow. It's really brilliant, if you think about it – when was the last time you ate just ONE roasted marshmallow?

Roasted marshmallows are good plain, but not nearly as good as they are on s'mores! YUM!

Callie was so worn out by the stair master from hell that she needed to take a rest. Please note that she is on MY sleeping bag. She has to be as near to Brian as possible.

Time for everyone to take a rest. Ah, the comforts of home...sorta – without the comfy bed and air conditioning and a refrigerator...oh, and running water.

Ah, the warmth of a campfire. Mason didn't want to humor me by singing campfire songs, though.

During the night, I had heard a little bit of a ruckus outside the tent. We really didn't think anything of it until the following morning...we had been robbed! Okay, so it was some hungry raccoons that got into our stash of chocolate bars and eggs. The little sneaks. I was fine with them taking the eggs...okay...no problem – but the chocolate? How was I supposed to have a s'more for breakfast? Dangit!

Amicalola is a state park, which is probably why this little guy walked right in front of us and stopped. I didn't mind, of course, because I got some photos. What a great ending to a camping trip.

Brian and Mason are going camping again this weekend while I'm in Philadelphia. I hope that Brian takes photos.

0 comments: