2/14/10

Snow in Atlanta?!

Atlantans had been preparing for the forecasted 3-4" of snow all week. Bread and milk were hard to come by and, on Friday, the flurries began at 1:30 as predicted. I left the office to pick Mason up from school around 3pm and, at 5pm we finally made it home. Never in my life would I have thought that going 12 miles would take 2 hours. Welcome to Atlanta traffic.

Mason and I bundled up and headed into the snow.

Boys do boy things...especially when fresh, white snow is involved.

Our neighbors are from New York and, apparently, New Yorkers had to find some way to keep their hands from getting cold during snowball fights. Introducing the snowball maker 3000...for the perfectionist in all of us.



Mother Nature is at her finest when undisturbed by humans.

The day after the snow storm, we all headed to the dam at the lake to have some fun. The walking trail was particularly beautiful...

...the snow was very heavy on the pine trees. Every now and then a clump would fall from the branches and plop right on someone's head.

I knew I held onto that toboggan for some reason. I had my doubts we would ever use it in Atlanta, but we get to pull it out of the closet once or twice a year.

Some of the neighbor kids had long sleds for more passengers. They happily oblige letting the little kids ride because they know that more weight makes you go faster and further.

Callie enjoyed chasing after the kids as they went down the hill.

When you live in the South, and snow is scarce, you find genius ways of improvising. Snowboard? Who needs a snowboard when you can use a skateboard with no wheels? Awesome!

It's cold, can we go home? Maybe just one more shove down the hill first.


The weatherman is calling for more snow tonight. Maybe we'll get to do this again!

0 comments: